CappuccinoandArtJournal

Mostly postal but art and other things of interest too.
Come and visit.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The Updated (NYC) Travel Journal

Here's the NYC travel journal in situ!
Doing some work in between running around the Big Bad City......

I mostly tried to catch up at breakfast time while drinking coffee and eating....
I was lucky enough to have breakfast delivered to me daily by room service...er.....actually my sweetie who would get up and run downstairs every morning.
I'm a lucky person, I know!

In working on the journal, I was delighted to find poetry on the backs of some of the  subway cards...how cool is that?
This is my favorite poem from the backs of the cards....
I haven't finished the inside cover yet but I am putting those Metro cards and some subway flyers to good use...


Seeing my mail art pals was a real highlight of this trip....this was from a wonderful Japanese lunch with a special friend.


Matt's Grill was a cozy little spot near our hotel -- "near" being the operative word since it was bitterly cold and there was a lot of slush that night...and Californians don't like slush.


I really know how to pick my travel dates!

Joe Allen is a fun place for after the theatre....We saw Hamilton and then went over for a late dinner and Tim Daly from Madame Secretary was sitting right next to me.
That was fun and no, I didn't take a photo or bother him....he had a Hamilton program too.

An oldie but goodie -- this was good too.

Ah yes.....two trips to Junior's and some cheesecake to-go.


February was Hot Chocolate month at City Bakery and when I went with a friend on February the daily special was
HOT FUDGE HOT CHOCOLATE
with a homemade marshmallow.
A tough life, I know.


I was so busy running around and having fun that I didn't even fill all the pages in the journal. But I will collage and put photos from the trip on some of the remaining pages to finish it off.

Ta da!
So, there you have it -- the mostly finished NYC 2016 travel journal. My favorite souvenirs  from trips are the travel journals and they are a great resource with addresses and information for future trips or sharing with friends.
You know I'm going back!
Funny to be working on this now, in San Francisco, where it is about 70" today and remembering the -9"....
I'm kinda happy to be back in San Francisco.

Send Good Mail -- Get Good Mail
I'm on Instagram -- PamelaArtsinSF

19 comments:

  1. I also have a love affair with NYC. I have many fond memories of the city that never sleeps. However, I never rode the metro because when on vacation, I always drove, and when conducting business for my company, had a rental car. So that's one experience I'll never enjoy.

    Regardless, I had a ball reading your mostly finished NYC travel journal. It brought back so many memories, too. I loved reading and perusing the pages.

    Great job, and I'm not fond of slush, either, even though I'm more used to it than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You drove all over NYC? In many, many trips there I have never driven...and that crazy parking method they have in the neighborhoods with double parked cars. I never did understand that concept. But I do love NYC too and try to get there every year. I'm so glad you enjoyed the journal pages and they brought back good memories. And slush? No thank you!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea to have poetry on the back of subway cards!
    Your journal is looking good! Such a fun way to capture the memories of your visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cjsrq -- Poetry in Motion it says on the cards -- so cool. But I admit, I didn't even notice till after I got back to SF. I just swiped the cards in NYC and pocketed them....but what a great idea.

      Delete
    2. I've seen poetry inside the subway cars and buses in spots where ads should be as well. Part of the same "Poetry in Motion" series...I discovered some nice poems and poets that way.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy seeing your travel journals!

    What did you think of Hamilton???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy -- I liked Hamilton very much. It is very creative and so fun to see our old white forefathers being played by young black man singing hiphop. But I did think it sort of petered out during the second half of the show but clearly I was in the minority since the audience seemed crazy over it (I did hear one guy who agreed with me tho). Definitely worth going if you get a chance. We got our tickets six months before.....

      Delete
    2. PS -- thank you for the mail surprise, Cindy -- loved it. You'll be hearing from me via the USPS....

      Delete
    3. Wow, that was fast! Glad it arrived safely.

      Delete
  4. Well you couldn't have picked a colder time to be there but you sure made the best of it. Mile high cheesecake and lots of excursions to placed like the Ink Pad. The King and I never gets old dies it?? Wonderful journal. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Corrine -- The King & I was great. And I saw it years ago too.I was pretty intrepid even with the freezing weather. How could I not be? So many great things to do in NYC!!!

      Delete
  5. I have not been to that city
    So it is nice to have a peek thru your eyes
    Thanks for a beautiful post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dori -- you would LOVE it -- put it on your travel list. I am so glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. Love your travel journal, and I think without a journal, you forget so much about the trip... too bad it was so frigid!! but beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caterina -- I agree -- you do forget even if you think you won't! i love sitting with my old travel journals and reliving my trips sometimes.....and planning the next one!

      Delete
  7. Linda -- very happy you enjoyed the post and the mail too. It's fun to share my adventures and it gives me a chance to relive them again too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poetry on the back of metro cards? :-o Coolest thing ever!! What a great thing it would be to collect them. Nice find!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Marie...isn't it cool? I found another one with a poem called Grand Central by Billy Collins....perfect!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...