CappuccinoandArtJournal

Mostly postal but art and other things of interest too.
Come and visit.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Let the Party Begin

My birthday is this weekend but my friends have already declared this to be my entire birthday week. I really can't argue with that concept. I'm rolling with it.

Yesterday there were presents. And cookies. What's not to like?

I love having my end-of-March-and-almost-Easter birthday. In San Francisco, anyway.
Because there are flowers blooming in my backyard....

My favorites are lilacs. The lilac bush my husband planted for me years ago manages to always squeeze out some lilacs right at the birthday.
Not a lot, but I will take what I can get.

LOOK at this card! I'm in typewriter heaven....so cool. And a certain. lovely and generous someone
(you know who you are) also gave me that great postcard stamp.

Ok, so I treated myself to an art playdate with a friend and we went to SF Scrap and look what I found there. My lucky day.....and yes, I did pick some of these unmounted stamps up for friends too. I'm not a total pig.

Never seen these before....kinda cool.....

And, on a food shopping trip today I saw a big bag of these free Styrofoam  blocks -- ah ha!!!!!!

Let the stamp mounting begin! (There is a tip for you guys). I just cut it up with a mat knife and glue those annoying little unmounted stamps on there and I'm good to go.....

Scrap had a 1968 LOOK magazine in the FREE section with this cool old typewriter ad.

And these will be perfect for collaging on and sticking in all those altered books I am working. These are the large ones....vintage and cool....

I love old and out of date stampers....1987? 1974? 1990? I want them all....

Some postcards from SCRAP -- these look like they need stamp heads to me.

I have been altering more vintage envelopes to amuse myself....

And sending out a lot of good mail.....


My friends know what I like...old paper...airmail...pretty ribbons....
So, the party started early but now that i think about it, the library big book sale is next week and I am meeting a mail art pal to stand in line....hum.....maybe the celebration will continue till the end of the month??
Funny, I have lots of ARIES friend who have their birthdays right around mine so I have been busy getting ready for those birthdays....I must like Aries since I know so many.

***I have a question for you all -- ready????***
People keep asking me to trade mail with them, especially on the blog's FaceBook page and I really can't add any more folks to my mailing list or I may be buried in mail....
They often say they would love to send out mail art but don't know who to trade with.
I was thinking of trying to do a blog post about finding people to trade mail art with -- and you all could leave comments with your email if you are looking for people to trade with.
What do you think?
Would that be helpful to you?
You can just set up a free email account just for that if you don't want to post your personal email.
I will only do this if it seems there is a lot of interest out there so let me know....

In the meantime, I'm going back to the cookies and the fun with friends.

SEND GOOD MAIL -- GET GOOD MAIL

31 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I also meant to add how nice it is to see you repurposing those styrofoam blocks. It's a good idea I wouldn't have thought of!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Cindy -- you don't actually see those bad-for-the-earth styrofoam blocks much any more -- which is good - but when I saw them at Safeway I knew right away what to do with them....

      Delete
  2. I think the email list is a good idea! You inspired me to try to organise a mail art meeting. I hope I get replies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TomoyoHime -- good luck with starting a mail art group. Even if you start very small it will be fun and you can add members. In our group, I have made some very good friends.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Week! Sounds like you are off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paradise! :-o I like having my B-day in spring too. Man, you are spoiled! But you deserve it. Enjoy the sea of goodies, Pamela!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, Marie W -- when is your spring birthday???? I might be a little spoiled....I admit it.....

      Delete
  5. Linda -- you are funny! I didn't do the post about the mail art exchange yet! But maybe some nice mail artists will see your comment and your email and you will get a head start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOoooOOooo I am waiting by my mailbox, Linda! How exciting. And hell yeah -- let's have an entire birthday month -- I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen styrofoam blocks before. I don't think they ever made it to Kansas. But I adore that you found a way to use them instead of putting them in the recycle bin.

    I don't know what "Scrap" is, but it sounds like my kind of place to shop. It also sounds like you are celebrating early there, too.

    I think everyone should have a month long birthday celebration. Oftentimes, people (friends) want to take you to lunch or visit you, but it can't all be on the same day or you would be so full from eating you couldn't do much for a week. So enjoy the next few weeks and celebrate like it's your big day. Because it will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth -- and Bleubeard -- Scrap is "A Center for Creative Re-Use" and an amazing place. They have them in other cities too, including Berkeley and Portland, OR. And those styrofoam blocks were very commonly used in packing boxes -- I am surprised you haven't seen them. Luckily for the earth they are getting away from styrofoam now.
      Yes, I agree -- why not celebrate a week? Or a month? You only live once.

      Delete
  8. Guess I forgot to mention, especially since I can't see what I wrote, Happy, Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! I'm going with the idea you are celebrating for a month for I will be late with birthday mail art. I like the idea of using the Styrofoam for mounting loose stamps. I have used other plastic waste in the same manner, but I think the Styrofoam will work better. Karen I's group "Mail Me Some Art" might be a good place for those looking for people to swap with. She has a section on her site with those looking to exchange in private swaps. And, of course, there are the regular swaps, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cjsrq -- Thanks! And yes, Karen's Mail Me Some Art IS a good place to look for folks to swap with. I was going to mention that if I did a post but I'm not getting people commenting and saying they want a Mail Art Swap post so I guess it wasn't a good idea....
      I am happy to get any mail from you!

      Delete
  10. I think you should definitely do a blog post about how to find mail art pals. And heck, why not add on the option to list your email if you want new pals to swap with?!

    P.S. A small birthday item will be on its way to your mailbox soon. Takes a bit of extra time to get it wrapped up, so I'll just claim it is part of the "extended birthday," k?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthweek to you and I wish you many days full of good mail in the coming years. I have enjoyed reading your blogpost. Those stamps!!! I don't need more people to swap mail art with because I use the IUOMA site and some groups on Face Book. It is such a nice hobby. Thank you for being my mail art friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carter -- the votes aren't all in yet (about the blog post on getting mail art pals).
    I was trying to gauge the interest level...I wish i could have more people to swap with but I have a lot of trouble just keeping up with the folks I already swap with. BTW -- I owe YOU mail and thank you for that fabulous double NYC postcard you sent recently.
    I think I will continue the celebration till at least March 31 -- or maybe as long as the sun sign is Aries! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. The iHanna post card swap is open for registration. It is specifically post cards, but it's a nice swap. http://www.ihanna.nu/postcard-swap/?utm_source=iHanna%27s+Newsletter&utm_campaign=4b6b5bb922-Nya_Join_the_iHanna_Postcard_Swap_22mars2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c2c98b294c-4b6b5bb922-127119853

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that -- thanks, Jill -- some people may enjoy swapping the postcards.

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday! And YES, they do need stamp heads!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday/week/month Pamela! Enjoy!

    Concerning exchanging mail art indeed the IUOMA network is a good place to meet people (and I'm thinking of Stripygoose's offer to send bird mail art, I think she still needs people/addresses to dend her bird mail art to - see also IUOMA).

    Your stamps are a delight to see! And thanks for the styrofoam tip! Great idea as I have several unmounted stamps, used too unoften because my fingers get inked too much, too :-)
    Happy Stamping, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heleen -- thanks for the comment and good ideas. I do't like unmounted stamps either and for the same reason. The styrofoam isn't pretty but it works fine.

      Delete
  16. Thank you, Leslie -- and I just sent you some mail.....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...