CappuccinoandArtJournal

Mostly postal but art and other things of interest too.
Come and visit.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

OK -- You asked! (Booklet Making Tutorial)

ONE
Get a nice piece of 8-1/2 x 11 paper (double sided looks best rather than white on the back)
and place it printed side down on the table..



(I suggest reading through all the directions first and using a piece of white printer
paper to practice on before using your special paper)

TWO
Fold it in half like this...

Then fold the halves in half -- like this....

Now your paper should look like this

FIVE
Then fold two edges up about a 1/2 inch (no more)..I just eye ball
everything and never measure

SIX
Then fold corners into triangles....

SEVEN

Your paper should now look like this

EIGHT
Fold the flaps in so your paper looks like this -- and now flip the paper over

(so this side is on the table)

NINE
Lay this flat on the table
TEN

And FOLD down the top as shown about an inch or so.....
Then (I missed a shot here...)
Fold UP from the bottom and tuck the two corners into those little
triangles up top -- you can do this!

Eleven
Now you will have THIS!
Isn't that just so cool?
You can actually fold it in half either way here, depending on which sides you
want for the cover...
Next you add pages...

Twelve
Just showing you...
So now you are going to cut out some cool pages....
mine are usually 3-1/4" x 5"
Just cut 'em out.....fold in half and press into the spine of the booklet..........

I hold the paper in place by using binder clips....

Use an ice pick or an awl to punch holes so you can sew the binding easier....

And here you go -- just sew the pages in place and you are done.
I used waxed, linen book binding thread but you can use butchers thread or embroidery
thread....

The finished booklet!
Now the fun part - there are four little "secret" pockets to put tiny treasures in...
You can write a letter on the pages
and/or rubber stamp them..
So many ideas...

The booklet itself actually takes about two minutes to make - believe it or not.
The papers and sewing them in takes a bit longer
but these are actually very fast to make.

Another finished booklet--
travel booklets, booklet about the fun things to do in your town, a how-to booklet,
a mail-art inspired......the possibilities are endless...

Hope the photos show you how to do this -- please let me know how it goes.

How about everyone who makes one, send me one and I can do a post with photos
of all the different versions of the BOOKLET!
It is so interesting to me to see what people do when using the same process --
everyone put their own stamp on their work.

So-- CALL FOR ENTRIES -- send me a booklet (within two weeks) and I will provide documentation
to all and show them in a post.

Have fun!!
                                                                         

28 comments:

  1. You make it look so easy that I might actually give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock Pamela! Now I hope I can try it and get it to you on time before I go out of town on the 17th! HA - in the midst of all my other catching up :D
    So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GinaBella--You can rush over here for a private lesson if you want to. You can make one by the 17th -- now get busy!

      Delete
  3. Those are awesome. I just folded two covers. Off to make some pages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen -- I'm so glad my directions were clear enough. Can't wait to see what you do.

      Delete
  4. Oh, AWESOME, Pamela...thanks so much for the step-by-step. I'll be doing this TOMORROW!! (Just had a little "cordial" with dinner, and don't think I'm up for the folding right about now!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andria -- step away from the mat knife.....but folding is probably safe to try even after a little drink....let me know how it goes.

      Delete
  5. Great tutorial - love these little books, so charming. Yes, that thrift is a used furniture(estate sales kind of thing) with a bunch a different dealers, some new things that look vintage and some real finds. I saw the Santos doll and went online and they sell for 150 and up, this was 59 - unreal so I scooped her. That's where I got my typewriter!!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to give it a try - this looks like great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your instructions! They were wonderful! I just made my first one out of some printer paper before I try it on something nicer. I will send you one when I'm done! Although it is similar to the one I make, it was driving me crazy that I couldn't figure out yours! Thanks again for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karenann --Happy the post helped you figure it out. I am loving the origami booklet you sent me with the fabulous postal ATC's. Everyone I show loves them and now you have inspired me to make some up.

      Delete
  8. I just tried your booklet with just printing paper and it turned out fairly ok. I love this idea, thank you so much for the great tutorial! Now on to some nicer paper to try it with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been getting some booklets in the mail from folks who have used the tutorial and they look great! I have actually been making them in various sizes as well....I think you will have fun with them -- good luck.

      Delete
  9. Verry beautiful. I live in France.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, I am loooooving these little booklets! I plan to make up about a half dozen or so before vacation using Florida maps (I'll have to make several trips to AAA to get my maps!). The inside pages will be graph paper and maps, and the binding will be red and white baker's twine. Then, instead of sending postcards from my trip, I'll add little comments, ticket stubs, receipts, notes, etc during the week and mail them to a few deserving friends at the end of my vacation. Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cal--that does sound wonderful. I wish i could see them. How about you take a photo when you finish them? I want to do the same thing when I travel somewhere.....have fun and keep us posted.

      Delete
  11. Pamela, thanks for directing me to this tutorial. I successfully folded a practice sheet. It's adorable and I can't wait to make many, many more. These are perfect to include with letters as an extra little something. Again, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas Leigh -- this is what I want to hear! So happy you are enjoying making them. I make them in all kinds of sizes and they are great for tucking pages of a letter in or small surprises....I have another one to post -- an origami wallet! It is very cool too.

      Delete
  12. thank you so much for this tutorial <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great. I made my prototype, and will find some good paper tomorrow. I like to used posters from events passed that I pick up from college bulletin boards, usually a nice, colorful print, on a decent quality paper. Thanks. Will send you one if I find your addy somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I once spent days searching how to do this and today I have found 2 variations on "wallets" or pockets for my travel diary (handmade). So now I have made a master copy of each so I can fold some from maps etc while travelling. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it -- I always make them when I am traveling and often use maps. You can just make the folder without adding pages -- it has six pockets for storing paper ephemera from your travels. You can make these large or small - such fun. And I am so happy to welcome you to the blog! Where are you traveling to?

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...