CappuccinoandArtJournal

Mostly postal but art and other things of interest too.
Come and visit.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Let's Make an Origami Wallet

ORIGAMI WALLETS
(NYC City Bakery flyer with NYC ephemera tucked inside)

Origami wallets are so fast and easy to make -- and fun to fill up and mail.
It really takes only four easy steps to make a wallet and I can whip them out in a minute.
Want to see?

STEP ONE
Take a sheet of double sided paper (maps, pages torn from an Atlas, magazine pages, menu, flyers).
Look it over and place the side you want on the outside of the wallet  FACE UP.

Fold the TOP of the paper down about 3/4-1" like this.
AND FLIP THE PAPER OVER
with the folded part on the top face down (as seen below)

STEP TWO
Then, fold each of the (short sides) about 3/4" like this. Press them down with a bone folder.

Now your paper looks like this (only with the sides pressed down)

STEP THREE
Now (fun part) fold the top down a bit less than halfway like this.(That very first fold you made at the top will be showing).  This will become the top sleeve in your wallet.
STEP FOUR

Now you will fold the paper up from the bottom to make the bottom sleeve like this.
You want to tuck that top corner right in to that bottom corner there on the right side....and then tuck it the same way on the left side, which will create the bottom sleeve.

DETAIL (Photo MONICA LEE)

See? Tuck the TOP (blue) into the bottom (Black)

DETAIL (PHOTO MONICA LEE)
**I hope this doesn't confuse you -- the wallet is flipped in these two photos. Remember you are tucking the TOP corners into the bottom...the black is the bottom here and see who the top corner is getting tucked in to it?)**
And there you are -- see the two sleeves? If you do it wrong you won't have two sleeves so just try it again.

Now your wallet looks like this.....
Fold it in half and you are done.

Origami wallet
It looks harder here than it actually is. Once you get it, you will be making them so fast you won't believe it....


By now you all know I can't leave things alone so I had to add some washi tape and dots and a cut-out from an old dictionary.....


And, of course, you can't send someone an empty wallet, can you?

Wallet from a flyer I picked up at the library around San Francisco...

Atlas page wallets

You can make origami wallets when you travel and tuck in business cards and souvenirs  from your trip. Make one with a flyer from your home town for a friend who is coming to visit...or use menus or atlas  pages or anything else you might think up...
it's fun and it is creative re-use.


I have had this ready for a long time but didn't post it since I couldn't be sure the instructions were clear enough. They seem clear to me but I already know how to make the origami wallets so what do I know? Let me know if you figure it it (I hope so!). They are really fun.
Hope you all (in the USA) enjoyed your holiday yesterday -- BBQ and fireworks and heat. It was a chilly 60 degrees here in SF.

Speaking of that, check out my favorite creative re-user, Monica at
The ArtFul ReCrafter
to see what origami tutorial she has for you!


SEND GOOD MAIL -- GET GOOD MAIL

29 comments:

  1. These are so fabulous. I, however, couldn't follow directions!! Aaagh. I'll keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it. Sent you an image via e-mail. Thanks for this.

      Delete
    2. Yay!!! Yours looks great. i know three people have been successful making the wallets so I guess this works!

      Delete
  2. I did it! The only part that was a bit difficult was the top/bottom part tucking. I didn't get the 2 pockets the first time, but the second try I did. Thanks for the explanation and thank you that you have send me already an example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!! I'm not a complete failure at showing how. But that's the thing - if you don't get the two pockets the first time you know you aren't doing the tucking correctly so just reverse what you are doing ......And, i got your lovely mail, Nina. Thanks. It's my turn now....

      Delete
  3. I am going to try this later today! Thank you so much!
    By the way, did I mention already that I organised my very first mail art meeting? Including me, there were just four people attending, but I had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great, TomoyoHime -- I am so glad you organized a mail art group. It doesn't have to be big to be great fun. Good for you! Tell me if your wallet comes out...

      Delete
    2. I managed to fold the wallet right from the start!

      Delete
  4. Great tip, particularly when traveling - my bag always ends up full of 'junk' which would be perfect for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FinnBadger -- I think so too. I made a NYC wallet. If you are having guest visit you you can make a wallet for your town/city and put local cards of fun things to do.....

      Delete
  5. Your directions were perfect for my "refresher course".... but I was lucky enough to get the first tutorial in person! Thanks for posting this, Ms PG. Now I know just where to find it when I need it. xo SW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sallyw 3000 -- come over any time for an in-person refresher! And, i could do a demo at the co-op meeting to if you want 9since you're the boss this time). i did it once before but different people will be there...

      Delete
  6. Thanks for all the examples of different kinds of papers and the encouragement to embellish the wallets. You are so good at that. I seem to have enough time to only make "plain" wallets. Fun as usual blog post Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. monicalee -- get out!!! Nothing you do is plain and you are amazingly talented......you are the best!

      Delete
  7. I love that they have two levels! How addictive this must be...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the refresher tut! I'm going to show this to our local mail art group as well as the little booklet in one of your previous blog posts. They are so great to have on hand and a good way to use up all the paper we create/collect. Thank you for the rolodex cards! Happy mail is on its way to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great - I hope your mail art group enjoys both the wallet and the book. i can think of lots of things to do with both -- and I'm sure you can too. And mail coming my way? yay!!!

      Delete
  9. Excellent tutorial. I can see myself making lots of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much, Grace -- happily, people are telling me it works so I see a lot of wallet-making going on out there. I have been making lots of them too....thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have just stumbled across your blog. How wonderful. So many things. Lucky I have all day to keep looking (except for the groceries, the washing, the floors, some exercise......)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely! Thanks for stopping by the blog and for commenting. Have a look around and tell me what you think, ok?

      Delete
  12. This is too funny. I tried to make this wallet and failed miserably. I mangled the Mystery Fold, the Four pocket and the 8 pocket fold projects. I aced the test the military gives--the one where you identify the finished diagram.

    I over think things like this. Had to Google the Hamburger fold! Why not simply say "fold in half?" The interlocking book is still as mysterious as a UFO. The instructions came from the West Virginia Dept of Education. Sheesh. I flunked folding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, Limner -- you can do this. I didn't even mention "valley fold' or "mountain fold" so I wouldn't scare anyone. You are funny. I have always had trouble with origami but once i started to "get" it I have gotten better -- but it is still easier to have someone show you (or me) than read directions from a book........

      Delete
  13. Pamela, this is fantastic. I had no trouble following the instructions, now I just need to find the time to make one (or more).

    I had planned to share a tutorial this month that was inspired by YOU and San Francisco, but when I went to create it, I stepped into a flooded basement. Looks like it will be next month before I can work on it in my basement studio.

    Thanks for being such a dear friend while I was offline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth -- you dn't need any time -- I swear I can make one in one minute. So fast. So have fun. And I can't wait to see the tutorial inspired by San Francisco -- and ME????? How fun. I bet it has to do with something postal.....

      Delete
  14. Oh I wanna try and make one! I made a paper wallet using my sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...