CappuccinoandArtJournal

Mostly postal but art and other things of interest too.
Come and visit.

Monday, January 9, 2017

January Doings

January in San Francisco has been cold, dark and very wet. I love it! We need the rain and it is a good excuse to hang out in my studio and play.
I noticed there are a lot stamps in the studio and that got me thinking...well...about stamps.

These vintage Chinese beauties were included in a big batch of ephemera a friend gave me. I think I'm going to have a great year making collages and Rolodex cards and books and altered passports  with all the old paper....I can't wait. But, for right now, I am just enjoying looking at these.

I started noticing a lot of stamps on sheets of paper -- like these.

And like these......

 I got to thinking, it would be fun to sort some of my bags of stamps and stick them in a moleskin....
I find sorting stamps very calming.


I had sooooo many piles going.....I sorted by colors and subject.  And I stuck them in and didn't look back.
The book will be fun to flip through.


Handmade book by Christie J
This little beauty just showed up in the mail unexpectedly one day and what a delight.

Here's a look inside...

and, here's another......
Thank you, Christie! Love it.
(@christie_jz on IG)

More Good Mail
This arrived on another day from Dawn C. Also a handmade book filled with postal goodness and pages to write in.
Dawn knew I've been having some difficult times and thought I needed some cheering up.
How thoughtful!

Cheer me up it certainly did!

Thanks so very much, Dawn. I just love random acts of kindness , especially those sent through the mail.

And, speaking of random acts of kindness, a new Instagram pal, knew I have been looking for these Reader Digest covers to use for altered books and she just sent me a bunch.
I love them and I can't wait to get started making books.
Thanks, @sakameg (on IG)



Any of you make any resolutions? Art ones?

I have a list going.........
I'll tell you all soon. Happy 2017. Make all the art you can!

12 comments:

  1. You have so many wonderful friends who send you great things. I don't think I've seen that many old stamps before in my life. I also can't wait to see what you do with the old Reader's Digest covers. Happy New Year, happy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth -- I do have a lot of stamps. i just love them. I am going to make altered books with the Readers Digest covers....

      Delete
  2. Those old Chinese envelopes are great! And the stamps in the moleskine look cool. I should try that since I have piles of them also. Love seeing what you're up to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new year Pamela! A few resolutions, yes. Keep going is one of them. Keep up the good work. I hope this year will bring us lots of good things. Your stamp collection is amazing. My dad would have had a blast of a time sorting out stamps with you! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie W - awwwww i would love to sort stamps with your dad. I could mangle my French at the same time. He liked stamps? Do you have his stamp collection? And yes-- keep going -- a good resolution.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year! Thanks for featuring the little book I made you. I'm glad you like it! Sorting stamps is truly calming, you are so right. I like your idea of putting some in small journals to flip through and enjoy. Much better than sitting in boxes and bins. As far as resolutions go, I want to do more of the things I enjoy this year - more creating, more reading, more walking, more gardening, more laughing and, of course, more making and sending mail art!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christie -- I brought your book to our mail art meeting and everyone loved it! It got passed around the table and 20 people saw it. More laughing -- I like that! In fact i like ALL your ideas. Have a good 2017 and thank you for all the GOOD MAIL and lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pamela, I'm so glad you liked your little book and I hope the new year brings you cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought of you the moment I saw this. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...