CappuccinoandArtJournal

Mostly postal but art and other things of interest too.
Come and visit.

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Time Out (For Art)

I needed an antidote to all the holiday hustle and bustle and what better place than
SFMoma and Robert Rauschenberg?
It was delightfully uncrowded. I think everyone must have been out holiday shopping.

Many times people ask me things like "How do I learn about collage (or art)?" and I tell them what they told me at art school -- look at A LOT of art -- as much as you possibly can.
You educate your eye by looking...and looking.
If you live in the Bay Area and are interested in mixed media art, you really don't want to miss this one.

Talk about re-purposed art -- this is it!

Detail

Detail
Rauschenberg was a master at layering -- and using repurposed  ephemera in his work -- you can see newspapers and magazine pages embedded in some paintings..and there was a sock in one too...and a dime in another..

Detail
I love the bits of paper layered under paint..
and the colors...

He started a lot of things....


These two I really wanted to take home with me....they are very large...there is no sense of scale in the photo...ok, if I have to I will just take one...

Another favorite -- it is large too...


Silk screened. Mixed media lovers -- look and learn.


Detail

There were lots and lots of these pieces - all different - zippered together and on three walls.

Detail
I love this.....I left feeling happier and inspired and wanting to go back and look at everything again.
GO if you can. And, if you can't, maybe check out books of his work from the library.
You will be glad you did.
An art break with five artist friends. And, a Japanese lunch.
Can't beat it.

SEND GOOD MAIL -- GET GOOD MAIL

17 comments:

  1. Thanks you Pamela, enjoyed tagging along!
    And especially the close-ups! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed -- too bad you aren't closer to SF -- we could go!

      Delete
  2. Rauschenberg is my hero. Any time I can view his art, I will seek it out. Our museum has several serigraph prints by him. I'm thrilled you got to see this exhibit and loved the paintings you shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years ago I saw the piece with the stop sign in a magazine and cut it out. I didn't know who the artist was though. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting -- now you know. I just ordered a couple of books about his art from the library.

      Delete
  4. I'm officially jealous - what a great Art Date! Loved the detail and your absolutely right - go immerse yourself and observe and the spark will come :) THanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish we could meet up there.....I am glad you enjoyed the post and thanks for commenting. Now, we need to get busy and make something...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to get away from the holiday hustle bustle. I went to Selby Botanical Gardens this week - getting in touch with and appreciating Nature's art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Botanical Garden.....that sounds wonderful too.....I'd like that and many thanks for your lovely holiday mail......

      Delete
  7. Sounds and looks like a wonderful outing.
    So, can we consider Rauschberg to be the fore runner of mixed media artwork?
    Very cool exhibit and I agree about the two/one you wanted to bring home!
    Thanks so much for sharing, It is very inspiring to see these works I might never otherwise had the chance of seeing.
    Jackie ")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we can count Rauschenberg as a mixed media art forerunner....I wish you could see the art in person. It is so much better and the scale is wonderful. Keep your eyes peeled for a traveling show near you -- he is widely exhibited.

      Delete
  8. I want to take home the same ones and you but I would give them both up to you to take that room of the multiple zippered pieces. I was so inspired by those pieces... now to make the time. I was lucky to be one of the artist friends who joined you that day for the MOMA and the Japanese bento box lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't that fun???? The art, the friends, the lunch -- let's do it again soon.

      Delete
  9. A sock and a dime!?
    How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...