CappuccinoandArtJournal

Mostly postal but art and other things of interest too.
Come and visit.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Just in Case!

I really enjoy gift giving. I like birthdays and surprising my friends for no reason.
I'm not a fan of Christmas these days. It starts too early and I think it is too commercial.
I usually get in the holiday spirit a week before December 25th and by then it is too late to make things for my friends.
If you like to make things and get started early -- here are a few ideas for you.

Mail Art Address Book
My pal Miss Polly recently had a birthday and I figured she likes paper about as much as  I do.
I mean, we COULD have all our addresses on our iPhones but really, what fun is that?
My address book has everyone I have ever traded with ..... some folks there was only one trade and others have gone on for years. It is a nice record to have. I put little notes by each name like the date I started mailing to them, their birthday, things they collect...

Just buy an address book -- at a Dollar Store or a place like Scrap or anywhere you can find one -- and cover it with cool paper. You can add some washi tape....


....and rubber stamps on some of the pages....


I punched a hole in the back cover and added that pretty ribbon to tie a bow around the address book...

And, I added a library pocket to keep some postage stamps in. If you can't find an address book, you could make one from a plain notebook by adding tabs and rubber stamping the ABC's on them...

Another nice little gift is a six pocket origami folder. They are easy to whip up but you need a BIG piece of paper to make a nice size one. I use those Cavallini posters to make mine. Or use a nice big map.

After you fold it up (in about five minutes) the fun part is filling all the pockets with little paper treasures..
You can see how to make the origami pocket
RIGHT HERE

Little booklets are fun to make and fun to give...
I love to re-cover everything -- these are some of my datebooks from the dollar store. I cover one every year with pretty papers and save them since they are like little diaries. I buy plain notebooks and cover them with maps to places I'm traveling too....I always have a notebook in my bag.
I bet your friends would like things like this too.
Remember my coin booklet tutorial?
I love making them. This little series is a holiday one and the the little pockets are filled with vintage Christmas seals. Who wouldn't like that? You could put vintage postage inside too.
Or, make a little booklet for a friend with some small $5 gift cards in the sleeves for coffee at different coffee shops....
See? Vintage seals in tiny glassine envelopes.....
After making the booklets the fun part is filling them up..
Coin Booklet tutorial is
RIGHT HERE
Well, look at the post -- you will have to click the link within the post to find the tutorial -- but you can do it.

So, don't say I didn't give you a head's up -- if you're into the whole holiday thing you better get busy. But the nice thing is, if you aren't, these little ideas can work for birthdays or random acts of mail art kindness.
I did make one other cool thing but shhhhhhhh I can't show you till AFTER December 25.
That project will be for the new year.
Celebrating the new year is always fun too.

So, what do you think? Are you going to make things?

SEND GOOD MAIL
GET GOOD MAIL


25 comments:

  1. I'm always a fan of random acts of mail art kindness :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are ingenious. I can't believe all that cool paper you find. And the idea of using a map to make that pocket book is wonderful. I'm delighted you shared these with us, because I had forgotten the origami pocket book until you mentioned it. I may have to try one or three of these!

    I also don't get in the mood for Christmas giving until about a week before, so now may be the time to start. Looks to me like you have your gifts all finished for this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed, Elizabeth....yes, maps work great for origami pocket envelopes -- give it a try!

      Delete
  3. Really gorgeous mail art, I love every piece.. you are amazing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such excellent ideas and artistic expression! Thanks for passing it along even if you have shown it to us before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, thanks.......I haven't posted any of those photos before....lol

      Delete
  5. pamela:: swooning so! and since i've no cell phone to reference given my luddite ways, all the better! showering of gratitude for both yr fine friendship & the amazing hand hewn gifts!!! xo, p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. miss polly -- so happy you liked the address book! You don't have a cell phone? wow!!!

      Delete
    2. oh, you didn't know that, miss? no cell phone, never have and no internet at home. luddite love! xo

      Delete
  6. Amazing! Thank you for all the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the inspiration. Last year I went to the Cavallini warehouse sale and bought a bunch of their posters. You have inspired me to finally put them to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace -- you're local? Maybe I will meet you in line at the next Cavallini Sale. I try to go every year and that's where i got that paper too. Go for it -- make a folder -- it's fun. I fill them with odds and ends of stationery for gift giving.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I'm local, Emeryville. See you at the sale!

      Delete
  8. So much postal art goodness! You always inspire me with your clever creations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such lovely ideas, as usual! I believe we all have some kind of gift or talent, and we're so fortunate that you share yours with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful as always. Who knows what we will pick up on our "field trip" to the East Bay this morning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now we know.....that was sure a fun field trip......love the free books and rubber stamps......many thanks

      Delete
  11. Your post brings to mind the thought that a custom-made rubber stamp is one of the ideal gifts to send to mail art friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Jack, I would personally love a custom made rubber stamp as a gift so you are right about that!

      Delete
  12. All of these are so gorgeous and beautiful!! :-D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...