CappuccinoandArtJournal

Mostly postal but art and other things of interest too.
Come and visit.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Altered Passport Project

In the fall, I am usually dusting off my own passport and getting ready to go on a trip.
This year, my trip sadly got canceled so I may have to send some others off to travel instead of going myself...

The travel journal was all prepped and ready...

I love to travel and I've always loved passports....little books filled with exotic rubber stamps? How could I not like them?
So, I started picking them up any time I got a chance....and one thing lead to another....and....
I started creating fantasy passports for imaginary people going on imaginary trips...
just my type...

When I found these small, vintage photos at the Vintage Paper Fair I knew these ladies were going to have to go on a trip.

I change the photos of the travelers. After all, who ever likes their passport photo?
We need new and glamorous photos for our fantasy trips.


I collect small photos (especially when I travel in other countries) to add -- and I add in rubber stamps and postage stamps and really, anything that seems to suit the trip...

Sometimes I give the pages a watercolor wash....or collage on them...

A trip to Morocco inspired this page....I didn't see any camels but I saw donkeys.

A France inspired page...

Those two ladies look like they would enjoy an English Tea - so I sent them to the UK.
(real immigration stamps)

I always leave any existing  stamps and visas showing and work with them. This is a real visa for a trip to Japan so the two pages are Japanese.


Japan Passport picked up at the VPF
I found a Swedish one too....

You want to see them? Let me know in the comments.


This Japanese passport had A LOT of wonderful stamps from entering and departing Japan....
I think I will just leave them as-is. So cool.
One thing that really bugs me is that many times I just breeze thru immigration and my passport doesn't even get stamped at all. I really hate that.

If I am talking to a person I ask to get it stamped, but
I took a train thru a few countries in Eastern Europe and it was oddly like there were no borders,
No stamps in my passport at all....

A Russian Passport
Don't you love that handwriting? I am going to have fun with this one. Since I've been to Russia I have some wonderful bits of old ephemera from flea markets there to add....

I find that passports are difficult to find. They are very expensive on eBay. I have gotten lucky a few times at the Vintage Paper Fair.
But -- that Japanese store - Muji - has little, inexpensive notebooks (pictured) that come in red or blue and are the exact size as many passports, rounded corners and all.
So now I think I will be making a few of my own own passports -- I wonder if I will have to invent a new country?
Himmmm......I could give a workshop in my studio on making these......that would be a lot of fun.

Would you come?

I am kinda sad because of my trip....but the best remedy for that is making a lot of art in my studio so that's where I am headed off to now...

Ciao bella.

SEND GOOD MAIL -- GET GOOD MAIL

41 comments:

  1. Love your fantasy passports! So sorry your trip got cancelled...:(. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear that you had to cancel your trip. Your altered passports are wonderful! The hair, the hats, the handwriting - all fabulous! If I wasn't on the other side of the US I would be at your passport workshop in a heartbeat. Please show us the Japanese and Swedish passports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, cjsrq -- I wish you could come on over to my studio too. I will show the other passports after I do some more work on them....I found a vintage Japanese photo album so I am adding photos to the passport...

      Delete
  3. Terrific, I'd love to see more!
    And, I'd be there if I were nearer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jacki - wish you could pop in to see them in person. I will do another post after I get some more work done on them

      Delete
  4. As usual, another great post with another inspirational project! I've been able to pick up a few passports in the hopes of one day having some creative idea in how to alter them...thanks for sharing and I'd love to see more. I'd be the first one at your passport workshop if it wasn't so far away. So sorry about your trip cancellation, but I'm sure another trip isn't that far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Mail Day -- you have passports? Now you can get busy and send someone on a trip! I don't know when another trip will be -- I am kind of reeling from having to cancel this one. I will post more on the passports as the project continues.....

      Delete
  5. I just fell in love! Loving this work. A few months ago I started on my own expired passports. You raise the bar with your fantasy passports. Totally. But where do you find expired passports of other people from so many countries? Endless ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nazelet -- so happy to see a new "face" here commenting. And also glad you are altering passports too. I have found all the passports at the SF Vintage Paper fair but they are hard to find. Very $$$$ on eBay,

      Delete
  6. I so love these passports,and just the other day I found some of my old ones as well as an old one belonging to my sister
    .I going ,well my passport is going on my dream trip and who knows where else.
    I agree that it's not as fun now cause you don't get as many stamps in them as you use to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chyfey -- I agree - they just don't stamp your passport when you travel like they used to -- why is that? But on our fantasy trips we can add all the stamps we want! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  7. Brilliant! I too make stories about the journals do. There needs to be a central theme and/or a story to make everything come together. Altered passports are a great idea because of the limited pages and space, and because you already know it's going to be about travel. So nice that you change out the ID photos at the front. He or she gets a brand new identity and an exciting life!! Love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes -- a new identity and a better photo! You know what they say about looking like your passport photo.....not good....the fantasy travelers often visit the countries I have visited.....and that is quite a lot.

      Delete
  8. Although I was saddened by your trip being cancelled, I loved the altered passports you have created. You find the absolute BEST ephemera, too. I am truly impressed with each page. I adored the fact you left the original stamps showing, too. That is more meaningful, in my estimation.

    I was truly impressed with this, and if I lived closer, I would join you for a workshop in your studio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth -- I sure wish you could join me in my studio too. I agree, the original stamps need to show. I do find some good ephemera to add in -- and I believe in using the papers I find not just keeping them in a drawer.....thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  9. And I forgot to say that yes, I'd definitely be up for a workshop date. I have some really nice original pieces of ephemera that I save for exclusive projects (like I mentioned here: https://margaretemiller.wordpress.com/2016/06/08/a-collage-challenge/ ), that would work perfectly in an altered passport project. Just let me know where to sign up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margarete -- so far you are the only local person....we can get together and work on passports -- it would be fun.

      Delete
  10. Very sorry about your cancelled trip, but delighted to hear about an altered passport workshop idea; count me in if you decide to go forward with this. You are such an inspiration! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, BaLadiNe -- I am sad too but working on the passports is fun. Are you a Bay Area local? Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
    2. I'm in San Francisco! Maybe it'll happen we'll have a cappuccino in the same café someday :)

      Delete
  11. Wow, you are so creative! You've mentioned this project a few times--thank you for finally sharing! It was worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cindy -- I know I have mentioned it a few times....I was waiting to do a bunch of travel related posts starting now....but my plans changed. I thought I'd still show the passports I have been working on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are really great! Sometimes good things happen when you think bad things happen. My Dad used to always say, nothing is all good or all bad, just wait and see. I'm looking for my old passports to give you one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dot -- I hope you find one of your old passports to give to me. And I got your postcard from Boston -- sounds like you had a terrific trip! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  14. Well, how cool is this!?
    All very awesome!
    Yes!

    As of yet, have not found a passport
    Yours are incredible!
    I keep thinking one will cross my path

    Thank you, for the peek
    My eyes are happy!
    My soul is inspired
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dori -- well, thank you so much. I hope you find a passport soon but there is always the Muji possibility too. I want to have a bunch of passports from all over all filled up with art -- I love when they are fat and happy with ephemera inside. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Pamela, love your altered passports! I have a few stamps in my passport and I have made copies of those pages to use in my journals.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In answer to your question/comment about the yearbook page, this image was from a magazine and not something from my past. I suspect the images are from an older era than mine. I may FEEL old some days, but I think these kids are from the 40s or 50s, truly before my time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simply wonderful, Pamela. Passport art is very unique indeed. Creating your own small worlds of fantasy and travel. Great job! Ahaha I will check out the Muji stationery now that you mention those notebooks....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie -- glad you enjoyed. Are you going to try to make one? Ever see old passports at those flea markets you visit?

      Delete
  19. LOVE Love love these passports!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad, Suzanne.....I am working on more....so stay tuned.

      Delete
  20. I like your idea of inventing your own country! That could be crazy fun. This project reminded me of an old bank book deposit I set aside to alter - those have nice pages and covers, too and are probably easier to find, but a little smaller than passports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi tamdoll - two friends gifted me with passports so i am in business. So fun to imagine all the travels........thanks for your comment. (I have old bank books too.....hummmmm......)

      Delete
  21. I am a devoted follower of your amazing travel passport idea ! Look at my attempt to realize this project....
    Virgo, Russia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Pamela, I am so sorry to hear that your trip was cancelled. I hope you can arrange for another trip very soon. I would LOVE to join you for a "Passport" workshop some day! These are so wonderful!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy -- thanks so much. I am working on an altered Japan passport now so stay tuned! Are you in the Bay Area?

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...